Thousands of tennis fans are evacuated at Wimbledon

Posted under Uncategorized on 02 Jul 2015

Three thousand people were dramatically evacuated from the All England Club last night as a fire broke out on Centre Court.

Engines are thought to have overheated in a maintenance room on the site, causing an electrical fault on what was the hottest July day on record.

People were forced to abandon their dinner and drinks on the third day of the tournament in south-west London after the blaze began at about 9pm.

One middle-aged woman – who appeared to have injuries to her left leg – was taken away on a stretcher, accompanied by her worried family.

The drama unfolded shortly before sunset after an alarm went off at The Wingfield Restaurant, which is at the front of Centre Court.

Got a question? Ask an expert!

captcha