News

Contact us today for a FREE QUOTE on 020 7251 9379

25 Oct 2016

Landlord fined £150,000 for fire safety breaches

The landlord of an overcrowded flat with a lack of fire safety equipment has been landed with a huge £150,000 fine. The owner of the property in Kensington, London, was making nearly £15,000 per month in rent from the 18 residents crammed in. It was divided using flimsy pieces of plasterboard as makeshift partitions to create […]

08 Sep 2016

£29K Fine for Landlord who put ‘profit before safety’

A Nottingham landlord who put ‘profit before safety’ has been fined £29k after one of his properties was found to have no fire detection system and damaged fire doors. Nottingham HMO Ltd was found guilty of breaching HMO regulations at Nottingham Magistrates Court. The Council’s Housing Licensing & Compliance Team originally visited the property earlier […]

26 Jul 2016

Independent fire risk assessor and care home in court

An independent fire risk assessor has been given a four month jail sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to pay £1,000 costs after ‘paying lip service’ to assessing a Cheshire care home. The fire risk assessor, a retired firefighter was given the sentence after he had been appointed by Minster Care to provide a fire […]

03 May 2016

Fire deaths rise by 21% as chiefs issue cuts warning

The latest figures from the Department for Communities and Local Government show that 294 people died in fires in England during 2015, an increase of 21% compared with the 242 deaths recorded in 2014. This has resulted in the largest increase of fire related fatalities for 15 years. The chief fire officers from the six […]

12 Apr 2016

19-month sentence handed down to Landlord

A landlord who ‘put profit before lives’ has been sentenced to 19 months in jail after a string of fire safety offences were found at one of his properties. Mr Cyrus Bassiri owned a four storey building in Edgbaston, where two fire alarms did not work, an escape route was blocked by a washing machine and […]

23 Oct 2015

New fire safety legislation for landlords

From October 2015 new regulations will come into force, requiring landlords to ensure the fire safety of their tenants as well as offer protection against carbon monoxide poisoning. Under the new laws smoke alarms must be fitted on every floor of the property as well as carbon monoxide alarms in properties which burn solid fuels. Landlords […]

18 Aug 2015

Ten senior executives of the company that owned the warehouse site that exploded in the China have been detained.

Massive explosions rocked the north-eastern coastal city of Tianjin, killing at least 114 people, officials said, and devastating a large industrial zone and nearby residences. At least 57 people are still missing, according to authorities. Thousands of officials, fire-fighters, policemen and local residents mourned the victims at the blast site this Tuesday, bowing their heads […]

02 Jul 2015

Thousands of tennis fans are evacuated at Wimbledon

Three thousand people were dramatically evacuated from the All England Club last night as a fire broke out on Centre Court. Engines are thought to have overheated in a maintenance room on the site, causing an electrical fault on what was the hottest July day on record. People were forced to abandon their dinner and […]

16 Apr 2015

HMO landlord hit with heavy fine

Uxbridge Magistrates Court found Javeed Hossain guilty of failing to obtain the requisite Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence for his property in Harlington, west London. When officers from Hillingdon Council visited the property, they required Hossain to obtain an HMO licence limiting the property to six tenants, but on revisiting they found he had breached […]

19 Mar 2014

Longdon-upon-Tern pub fire: Couple left without home

A landlord and landlady have lost their home and business after a fire gutted a Shropshire pub. More than 40 firefighters tackled the blaze at the Tayleur Arms in Longdon-upon-Tern, near Bratton, in the early hours of Wednesday. About 90% of the property was damaged, the fire service said. Richard and Eve Harvey had lived […]

Got a question? Ask an expert!

captcha